Latviski / English

The construction site contains several buildings: the building of eclectic style, monument of architecture from 1901 by architect Edmund von Trompovsky; complex of former factory buildings: a copper mint from 1883 by architect Jānis Frīdrihs Baumanis and a foundry from 1889 by architect Karl Johann Felsko which now houses theatre decorations warehouse and workshops. These buildings have been rebuilt several times and changed their functions. But the reconstructions have not diminished value of the buildings as the architectural image and character have been preserved. The block has two courtyards. The first courtyard can be accessed through a tunnel from Lāčplēša street, the second – from Ģertrūdes street. The courtyards are surrounded by firewalls of the nearby buildings but still they are well lighted and quiet if compared toLāčplēša streetwhich has changed from the historical peaceful street into noisy arterial road. The facade building was modified in 1931 due to construction of the theater stage and balcony. The complex cannot ensure wholesome work with the existing halls and premises for the actors and stuff. The premises are not efficiently used, they are outdated and do not meet the hygienic demands. The main entrance without a proper area is not comfortable, it is unpleasant and even dangerous. Besides the historical hall with 400 seats, the entrance in future will have to serve the audience of two additional halls with 300 seats. The houses in the courtyard are not connected with the main building.

More…

Gallery / Map
NRT reconstruction competition project
Riga, Lāčplēša iela 25

Architects: Zaiga Gaile, Dāvis Gasuls, Ingmārs Atavs, Māris Alsiņš

Participated: Zane Dzintara, Kristīne Riba, Maija Putniņa-Gaile, Atis Sirmais, Sintija Norberte, Monika Kļaviņa, Anna Heinrihsone, Louis Janssen, Uldis Pelīte, Armands Ābele

Project: 2013