Latviski / English

Wagner House in Riga was built in 1781 as the first theater house in Riga, commissioned by influential statesman and patron of that time - Otto Hermann von Vietinghoff-Scheel (1722-1792). The House was built by the famous Baltic German architect Christoph Haberland (1750-1803) as fine example of Classical style.

Theater life thrived for about 100 years during which many famous composers peformed there – Franz Liszt, Clara Schumann, Anton Rubinstein, Hector Berlioz and others.

From 1837 till 1839 the Teather was led by Wilhelm Richard Wagner (1813-1883). The young Wagner was inspired by the modern theater hall and later integrated 3 aspects in his Bayreuth theater – the amphitheater elevation, low ambient lighting and deep orchestra pit.

More…

Gallery / Map
Riharda Vāgnera Street 4, Riga
Architekture: ZAIGAS GAILES BIROJS
Zaiga Gaile, Filips Pitens
In collaboration with Riga Richard Wagner Society
2017-